One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colourless pungent toxic gas formed by burning sulphur in air.
- ‘Wind energy doesn't produce sulfur dioxide or nitrous oxides that cause acid rain, and it does hot disrupt the Earth's climate.’
- ‘The study also looked at the effects of other pollutants on people's health, including carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, ozone and fine particles in the air.’
- ‘Nonmetallic elements combine with oxygen to form oxides, many of which, such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide, are gases.’
- ‘The cleanliness of the air is measured in four categories: ozone, fine particulate matter, sulphur dioxide, and carbon monoxide.’
- ‘Your lungs may be exposed to pollutants such as ozone, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and sulfuric acid.’
- ‘When fossil fuels burn, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, sooty particles, dioxins, and other pollutants are released into the air and water.’
- ‘When the fuel is burnt, toxic gases such as sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide are given off, which combine with water in the air to form acid rain.’
- ‘Carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide emissions in the air will be compared to readings in May to see if they have increased.’
- ‘The table is published as the Government considers how to implement EU directives on the emission of carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide.’
- ‘Increases in ozone, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide are blamed primarily on the motorist.’
- ‘Various manufacturing environments rely on early detection of toxic effluents such as sulfur dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide to ensure safe operation.’
- ‘In addition to ozone and particle pollution, other pollutants include gases such as carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxide.’
- ‘She has pledged to get serious about fighting global warming, and says she'll work to cut emissions of carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide, and mercury pollution.’
- ‘National levels of ozone and soot are down, as are emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrous oxide, key components of smog and acid rain.’
- ‘The resulting harmful gases include carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, particulates and excess water vapor.’
- ‘Many familiar nonmetallic oxides, including carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and sulfur dioxide, exist as molecules.’
- ‘Obvious examples are water, methane, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and sulphur dioxide.’
- ‘The District's urban forest improves air quality by removing nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, ozone, and particulate matter.’
- ‘Other trace gases include methane, nitrous oxide, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and ozone.’
- ‘He says although there has been no change in efficiency, emission reductions have been measured in sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxides, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.