One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salt of sulphurous acid, containing the anion SO₃²⁻.
- ‘Sulfate-reducing bacteria utilize a process termed ‘dissimilatory sulfate reduction’ to reduce sulfite and sulfate to sulfide.’
- ‘Not only that, but carbonate and sulfite are the chemicals you run out of most often.’
- ‘Items to be avoided are lactose, yeast, artificial dyes, titanium dioxide preservatives, sulfites, synthetic colors, and gluten.’
- ‘Pesticides and added sulfites can create allergic reactions causing a person to think he is reacting to a food, when, in truth, the culprits are likely to be these additives.’
- ‘Others less concerned with added sulfites can satisfy their organic cravings with wine labeled ‘made from organic grapes.’’
- ‘Also available are organic liquid hand soaps and shower gels, which are made without detergents, sulfites or synthetic preservatives.’
- ‘Since last December, all products must state on the label that they contain any of the eight main food allergens (milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and cereals containing gluten), plus sesame seeds and sulphites.’
- ‘Sulphur dioxide is used to a certain extent in the making of virtually all wine, therefore virtually all wine contains sulfites, or sulphites.’
- ‘What you are describing sounds suspiciously like a reaction to the preservative sulfite.’
- ‘Allergies to sulfites have been documented and foods containing sulfites are usually marked.’
- ‘As soon as you stir in the sulfite, you will see the same sort of precipitate that you see when mixing Formulary Rodinal.’
- ‘Winemakers who add natural sulfites but otherwise adhere to organic standards may use the term ‘made from organically grown grapes ‘on their labels.’’
- ‘Fein eliminates the bromide altogether, substitutes benzotriazole, increases the sulfite, and adds a whopping 13.5 grams of citric acid.’
- ‘Some asthmatics also react to sulfites present in some foods and wines.’
- ‘Labeling on wines otherwise organically produced, but with added sulfites, may only say, ‘made with organic grapes.’’
- ‘The sulfite provides sufficient alkalinity to activate and maintain the developing process, and in addition acts as a solvent.’
- ‘They breathe compounds such as CO2, sulphate, sulphite, certain oxidised metals.’
- ‘Normally, sulfite oxidase metabolizes sulfites to sulfates, which are excreted in the urine or reused by the body.’
- ‘During primary sulphate assimilation in chloroplasts, sulphate is reduced via sulphite to the organic sulphide which is used for cysteine biosynthesis.’
- ‘Californian organic wines can sometimes contain trace amounts of sulphur or sulphites.’
Late 18th century: from French sulfite, alteration of sulfate (see sulphate).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.