One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A groove or furrow, especially one on the surface of the brain.
wrinkle, line, crease, crinkle, crow's foot, cleft, indentation, corrugationView synonyms
- ‘Common findings on brain imaging include enlarged ventricles, widened cortical sulci, and cerebral, cerebellar, or brain stem atrophy.’
- ‘The central sulcus of the insula runs in an upwards and backwards direction, almost parallel to the cerebral central sulcus that delimits the frontal lobe from the parietal lobe.’
- ‘Conversion of the obturator sulcus into a bony foramen has been reported.’
- ‘A second computed tomographic scan showed effacement of the temporal sulci and gyri, which was believed to be secondary to cerebral edema.’
- ‘Cortical tubers, or benign potato-like growths, appear along the gyri and sulci in the brain.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin, ‘furrow, wrinkle’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.