One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Marked with parallel grooves.‘the margin is often sulcate’
- ‘Species of sections Musa and Rhodochlamys share common characteristics, possessing the same chromosome number and having bracts that are generally sulcate, glaucous and that become revolute on fading.’
- ‘Ibergirhynchia contraria can be distinguished from representatives of Dzieduszyckia by its sulcate brachial valve and fold on the pedicle valve.’
- ‘Palehomola gorrelli exhibits a downturned, sulcate, triangular central rostral spine and two lateral rostral spines.’
- ‘Within the family, Ophthalmoplax Rathbun, 1935, is readily distinguished from the other genera in having a sulcate front, a single orbital fissure, prominent transverse carapace ridges and tubercles, and keeled and spined chelipeds.’
- ‘Dorsal valve only slightly sulcate, with very shallow sulcus originating in the umbonal area.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin sulcatus ‘furrowed’, past participle of sulcare.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.