One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Beet of a variety from which sugar is extracted. It provides an important alternative sugar source to cane, and the pulp which remains after processing is used as stockfeed.
- ‘This would collapse the price of sugar beet and devastate the income of beet growers.’
- ‘Winter and spring cereals, potatoes and sugar beet are grown, while cattle graze old pastures and hay is made on ancient hay meadows.’
- ‘Agriculture includes livestock-rearing, viticulture, and crops such as cereals, sugar beet, and potatoes.’
- ‘On an energy basis 4.0 kg sugar beet or potatoes or 4.5kg fodder beet can replace 1kg barley.’
- ‘He produces sugar beet, salad onions, dwarf beans, barley and wheat, and integrated farming practice is at the centre of the business's thinking.’
- ‘Corn is now being moved to mills, straw for winter bedding from farm to farm and soon potatoes and sugar beet will be making their way from farm to factory.’
- ‘To relate this to current practice a tractor and trailer combination today with a load of sugar beet or barley would have a gross weight of over 20 tonnes.’
- ‘These concentrations were used for analysis of ADP-glucose pyrophsphorylase in potato and for sucrose phosphate synthase in sugar beet.’
- ‘Part I covers agronomic crops including grain crops, nut, bean, and oil crops, cotton, and sugar beet.’
- ‘A number of Wexford farmers are considering the possibility of utilising sugar beet as an alternative energy source.’
- ‘We have a good climate for potatoes and sugar beet.’
- ‘Sucrose is found in many plants and is refined from sugar cane and sugar beet for commercial usage.’
- ‘Mr Meikle farms 130 hectares devoted to sugar beet, salad onions, dwarf beans, barley and wheat.’
- ‘The area produces cereals, sugar beet, vegetables and animal fodder and supports intensive pig and poultry farms.’
- ‘The main agricultural exports are wheat, potatoes, sugar beet, hops, fruit and pigs.’
- ‘Why, for example, is there a federal programme to support the growing of sugar cane in Louisiana and sugar beet in the Midwest at prices higher than the free market world price?’
- ‘Teagasc figures show that sugar beet cannot be grown in Ireland at the reduced beet price contained in the reform proposals of 27.40 per tonne.’
- ‘While different beet cultivars such as beet root, mangold and fodder beet have been used as vegetables or for animal feeding for a long time, sugar beet is a relatively young crop.’
- ‘The potatoes and sugar beet, so important in this part of the world, look particularly well this year.’
- ‘Farmers are beginning to worry about some recently-sown crops, like sugar beet, which need a spot of rain to make the seeds dig themselves in, before mice get them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.