One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person advocating the extension of suffrage, especially to women.
- ‘Our struggle, like those of suffragists, abolitionists, and human rights activists will continue until we obtain our goal.’
- ‘Some prominent 19 th-century suffragists advocated adopting educational or property qualifications for voting that would disqualify most black women.’
- ‘Many suffragists were imprisoned for their picketing of the White House.’
- ‘As any Higher history student knows, the women's suffrage movement consisted of two factions: the suffragists and suffragettes.’
- ‘A militant suffragist, she energized the movement through her hunger strikes and her fiery rhetoric.’
- ‘Republican men were threatened by the Woman Movement's profession of moral politics and nonpartisanship, while suffragists often acted in political ways that created division within their ranks.’
- ‘There were suffragists and socialists, a trade union organizer, and a London city councillor in her heritage.’
- ‘Hunger strikes have been used by woman suffragists, Irish nationalists, and Palestinian prisoners.’
- ‘A brilliant and dynamic activist, Eastman was a committed socialist, suffragist, feminist, and antimilitarist.’
- ‘Maud Reeves was very involved in the Fabian Society and was an active suffragist and sociologist.’
- ‘British suffragists and suffragettes discovered that renewed though it was, the Liberal Party that returned to office in 1906 in no sense had votes for women on the agenda.’
- ‘Republicans led the fight for women's rights, and most suffragists were Republicans.’
- ‘What would the suffragists and suffragettes of yesteryear think?’
- ‘It lay dormant for more than a century, until peace activists, suffragists and labor leaders of the teens, twenties and thirties breathed life into its words with their fiery speeches and broadsides.’
- ‘She devotes much space to Elisabeth Freeman, a white suffragist whom the NAACP dispatched to Waco immediately after the lynching to do an undercover investigation and prepare a report.’
- ‘Many suffragists decamped overnight to support the war effort, with leaders such as Mrs Pankhurst taking the pragmatic view that women's war work would earn them the vote.’
- ‘In Ireland early suffragists were largely Protestant, the leadership coming from upper middle-class women who were active in other forms of public work.’
- ‘Mahatma Ghandi made effective use of political fasts, as did the British suffragists, who brought hunger strikes to the American suffrage movement.’
- ‘The women in Bolton were suffragists, not suffragettes.’
- ‘She also assures this organization of woman suffragists: ‘I want women to have their rights.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.