One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A county of eastern England, on the coast of East Anglia; county town, Ipswich.
A sheep of a large black-faced breed with a short fleece.
- ‘It involved a nervous system disease called scrapie that had befallen a flock of about 36 Suffolk sheep in downtown Tucson.’
- ‘The Hattens have a weanling to beef enterprise and also keep some pedigree Suffolks.’
- ‘Richard is holding on to some land on which to keep a flock of Suffolk sheep, but is also now working for local a plant hire company.’
- ‘Helen - who boasts a flock of 10 Blue Faced Leicesters and 30 Suffolk sheep on her farm near Welshpool - cautiously admitted: ‘I don't know whether they fall in love.’’
- ‘It was Doug Jewitt with a Texel shearling who topped the day at 310 guineas closely followed by a Suffolk from the Bulmer flock at 300 guineas.’
- ‘Annie Johnson and her Suffolk sheep took four first prizes.’
- ‘He uses a Texel ram on the Suffolk ewes and a Suffolk ram on the Texel ewes.’
- ‘He aims for the French trade with his lambs which are from Cheviot x Blackface Ewes mated to a Suffolk / Texel Ram and Blackface ewes mated to a Cheviot or Blackface ram.’
- ‘Amongst the tups it was Simon Hunter with a Charolais that topped the day at 380 guineas, followed by a Texel from Colin Milburn at 345 guineas, and a Suffolk from Mark Bulmer at 290 guineas.’
- ‘Recently the neighbour's flock of Suffolk sheep moved onto the grass at Lowland Farm, completing the rural picture.’
- ‘We have been breeding Suffolks and mainly sell to commercial lamb producers, who return to us on a regular basis.’
- ‘Recently five lambs were born to a Suffolk ewe owned by Michael Tiffin, Gortnaboul, Kilgarvan.’
- ‘He had bred cross-bred sheep for several years but it was Lorna who persuaded him that the family's success in sheep lay in Suffolks.’
- ‘Cotswold flockmaster Chris Holmes is celebrating a double hat-trick of successes this year with sheep from his Rookery Flock of Suffolks - three flock competition wins and three successive championships at Moreton Show.’
- ‘Entries have been particularly strong in the Limousin and Holstein cattle breeds and in the Texel and Suffolk sheep categories.’
- ‘In the sheep pens, 12-year-old Alistair Thompson, of Selside, followed in his father's farming footsteps as he scooped two first prizes in the Suffolk sheep class.’
- ‘A flock of 200 ewes, half of which are Suffolks and the rest Mules, are run with either a Texel or a Suffolk tup to produce fat lambs.’
- ‘All his farms were within a few miles of each other, and yet he was known all over Yorkshire; indeed his reputation as a Suffolk sheep breeder was world-wide.’
- ‘There are dozens of sheep breeds in this country, and no one who has worked both will ever again mistake a Suffolk for a Scottish Blackface.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.