Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Leather with the flesh side rubbed to make a velvety nap.[as modifier] ‘suede shoes’
- ‘She uses different types of leather like ostrich, nappa, suede and printed leather.’
- ‘Not to be confused with slippers, these are more appropriate for business casual attire if made from leather or suede.’
- ‘Fur, leather and suede are manufactured with oils and fats that dry out over time.’
- ‘Accessorise the look with long tasselled shoulder bags in patch-work leather and butter soft suede boots.’
- ‘This car is beautifully trimmed in wood, leather, and suede.’
- ‘Cut facings from lining fabric, velveteen, cotton twill, or faux leather or suede to reduce bulk.’
- ‘Another form of leather, suede, is also huge in jacket form this season.’
- ‘And if you want to make a style statement, you should be looking at the latest collection of leather and suede jackets in softer colours for summer.’
- ‘Glass, limestone, dark woods and leather and suede are elements that make up the sleek environment of the plush bar.’
- ‘Shiny metallic gold, silver, bronze and platinum shades will be the strong colors of the season, in soft suede leather.’
- ‘Thick, leather or suede gloves may protect your hands from thorns, cuts and scrapes.’
- ‘While the souks are undoubtedly the place to shop, leather and suede goods can be found in many shopping areas.’
- ‘This Hugo Boss biker style jacket is crafted from premium glossy leather and suede.’
- ‘There are details of how they used rugged materials such as glass, concrete and steel alongside velvet, suede and leather.’
- ‘And the use of lightweight leather and suede for both tops and bottoms proves that skin is still in.’
- ‘Once you've decided to sew with real or fake leather or suede, the next step is knowing how to choose the correct leather or suede for your project.’
- ‘If it is leather, suede, or a leather-fabric combination, a tote can be a good companion for a work outfit.’
- ‘Urban Originals' satchel bags were also popular, rustic and large, made of such winter materials as leather and suede.’
- ‘Many different styles are available, such as leather or suede, and with buckles or laces.’
- ‘If the abundance of leather, suede, sheepskin and fur heading for our high street fashion stores is anything to go by, the answer is a resounding yes.’
Mid 17th century: from French (gants de) Suède (gloves of) Sweden.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.