Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pump for drawing liquid through a pipe into a chamber emptied by a piston.
- ‘With a suction pump a hydrostatic pressure gradient of - 0.045 MPa was applied to the excised root systems and xylem sap collected in 20 min intervals as described previously.’
- ‘Galileo had observed the experimental evidence that a suction pump could only raise water by about nine metres but had given an incorrect explanation based on the ‘force created by a vacuum’.’
- ‘The overall movement of air through the apparatus is effected by suction pumps, fans and the like.’
- ‘They had instructed people to drill a hole in the river bed after which they installed a suction pump.’
- ‘The arrival of the milk tanker, a huge 16 wheeler with a 150 hp engine and automatic suction pumps to collect the milk, more or less rounded off the morning's work.’
- ‘When Ecobot II debuted in 2004, Melhuish suggested one way that it might lure and capture its fly food-source: a combination fly-trap / suction pump baited with pheromones.’
- ‘A valve attached at the outlet to a suction pump controlled the airflow through the chamber.’
- ‘Not only did the withdrawal of gold coins from the monetary bloodstream through government coercion fail to stop deflation: it set off a huge suction pump in the bond market siphoning money off from every nook and cranny of the economy.’
- ‘A nurse tried to help using a suction pump, but without success.’
- ‘Gas was sampled through a filter by a suction pump through the gas analyzers at a rate of 220 mL / min.’
- ‘On page 31 Legardo states, ‘China was long the suction pump that absorbed silver from the whole world’.’
- ‘Karen is once again scrambling for contributions so that the trust can hire an excavator and a suction pump to repair the damage.’
- ‘They abjure large power supplies and equipment items for lightweight pieces such as hand-powered water purifiers and suction pumps.’
- ‘A deep inspiration serves as a suction pump to get the venous blood back to the heart against gravity.’
- ‘As mentioned, the rostral part of the oesophagus can act as a suction pump through its connection with the caudal margins of the CB2's.’
- ‘Fishing lines and hooks gave way to nets and giant suction pumps slurped shoals of fish from the water in a single gulp.’
- ‘The sheath comes in a disposable, specially designed installation tube that is placed into an installation stand and connected to a ShucoVac 130 suction pump or other suitable vacuum source.’
- ‘Cost implications are important, and currently the commercially available suction pumps are more expensive than conventional dressings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.