A country resulting from the partition of another one.
- ‘It might be prepared to recognize equitable boundary settlements with the succession states and to collaborate with them in the interests of peace and stability.’
- ‘There are now already extensive contacts to research institutions and enterprises in the succession states of the former Soviet Union.’
- ‘Among those funded were the Civic Forum in Czechoslovakia, Solidarity in Poland, Union of Democratic Forces in Bulgaria, Otpor in Serbia, and, more recently, similar groups in the succession states of the USSR.’
- ‘He also works extensively in Central and Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union succession states and the Balkans.’
- ‘In doing this, the succession states were merely following the example of the great powers of the world.’