One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A country resulting from the partition of another one.
- ‘In doing this, the succession states were merely following the example of the great powers of the world.’
- ‘Among those funded were the Civic Forum in Czechoslovakia, Solidarity in Poland, Union of Democratic Forces in Bulgaria, Otpor in Serbia, and, more recently, similar groups in the succession states of the USSR.’
- ‘He also works extensively in Central and Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union succession states and the Balkans.’
- ‘It might be prepared to recognize equitable boundary settlements with the succession states and to collaborate with them in the interests of peace and stability.’
- ‘There are now already extensive contacts to research institutions and enterprises in the succession states of the former Soviet Union.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.