A loudspeaker component designed to reproduce very low bass frequencies.
- ‘If the phase is incorrect, the main speakers can cancel out some of the bass effect from the subwoofer, and vice versa.’
- ‘If you like to listen to strong, bass-heavy music, you should get powerful amplifiers and ample subwoofers.’
- ‘This is where crossover comes into its own - it is the meeting point of frequencies from the subwoofer and the speakers.’
- ‘One way out is to purchase a separate PC subwoofer sound system if you are planning to watch a lot of stuff on your TV.’
- ‘With its powered subwoofer and three-speaker design, it sounds bigger and better than you'd expect.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.