One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The undermining of the power and authority of an established system or institution.‘the ruthless subversion of democracy’‘an 11-year sentence for inciting subversion’count noun ‘subversions of conventional morality’
- ‘If those protests lead to constitutionally questionable successions, it becomes a subversion of democracy.’
- ‘The director's subversion of the hero myth is spelled out clearly by the contrast between the movie's two parts.’
- ‘Even women starting to wear trousers was an act of subversion.’
- ‘The artist's show of drawings and paper constructions continued his sly, joyous subversion of traditional mediums.’
- ‘While McCarthyism rooted out political subversion, science and the media worked to instill proper gender roles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.