One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The note below the tonic, the seventh note of the diatonic scale of any key.
- ‘From the subtonic it is possible to make a leap only to the supertonic.’
- ‘The subtonic scale degree may be harmonized with the subtonic or the minor quality dominant chords.’
- ‘So the subtonic or 7th note becomes a typical hinge for mixolydian tunes.’
- ‘The statistical approach confirms the dependence of the doubled subtonic on the number of voices.’
- ‘Some modernists are calling the major seven, or ‘leading tone,’ the subtonic because it is the scale degree below the tonic and it's function as leading to the tonic is falling out of favor by modern composers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.