The note below the tonic, the seventh note of the diatonic scale of any key.
- ‘So the subtonic or 7th note becomes a typical hinge for mixolydian tunes.’
- ‘The subtonic scale degree may be harmonized with the subtonic or the minor quality dominant chords.’
- ‘The statistical approach confirms the dependence of the doubled subtonic on the number of voices.’
- ‘From the subtonic it is possible to make a leap only to the supertonic.’
- ‘Some modernists are calling the major seven, or ‘leading tone,’ the subtonic because it is the scale degree below the tonic and it's function as leading to the tonic is falling out of favor by modern composers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.