Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Near the end of a chain or other structure.
- ‘The caudal fin has dark bands at basal and subterminal positions.’
- ‘Intermediate bearers display female flowers mainly on terminal and subterminal buds on the annual shoots when they are inserted on 2-year-old branches.’
- ‘Some data are available with regard to comparisons of deflection per unit force for terminal, subterminal and sub-subterminal joints for cactus species.’
- ‘In nonterminal regions, the distribution was roughly bimodal with a low number of chiasmata in an interstitial position and an even lower one in the centromeric and subterminal segments.’
- ‘Adhering egg clusters along the spines are covered by thin, gelatinous sheath; tips of spines are separated from each other, with slight but distinct subterminal narrowing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.