Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The stratum or strata below the earth's surface.[as modifier] ‘the subsurface layer’
- ‘It seeps through the earth to a subsurface water table, which flows horizontally to a stream bank.’
- ‘Ground penetrating radar provides an image of the subsurface showing the internal structure of dunes.’
- ‘It has been estimated that half the biomass of life on the Earth resides in the subsurface doing things other than photosynthesis.’
- ‘Also, in some areas (rift valleys) they receive hydrothermal magmatic waters from the subsurface.’
- ‘Strong, continuous stratal reflections characterize the shallow subsurface on the upper and middle shelf.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.