Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A strain of a virus derived from another strain.
- ‘During treatment the substrains with the steepest kill curve will disappear first.’
- ‘The G ^ sub strain ^ term includes the bonded (bond, bond-angle, and torsional angles) and the van der Waals energy, which is calculated by molecular mechanics using GROMOS96.’
- ‘Organisms most commonly associated with infections are often a small subset of the total strains that constitute a species, and these substrains may exhibit little diversity.’
- ‘Bacteria of this "difficult to kill" substrain then increase their numbers and repopulate the stomach.’
- ‘Parts of the M. tuberculosis genome that are absent from the genomes of all BCG substrains and most NTM have been identified.’
- ‘Selection of the substrain and relative susceptibilities of the MOYO-R substrain and the RED strain are described by THATHY et al. 1994.’
- ‘Experiments with "knockout" mice, substrains with specific genes subtracted from their genome, have made it easier to decipher how the many cytokines contribute to immune cell maturation.’
- ‘A mosquito F 2 population was obtained from pairwise matings between the parasite-susceptible RED strain and the resistant MOYO-R substrain.’
- ‘Genetic crosses were performed to obtain F 1 intercross progeny between the P. gallinaceum-susceptible A. aegypti RED strain and the P. gallinaceum-resistant A. aegypti MOYO-R substrain.’
- ‘The nomenclature for 129 substrains has been revised by the Jackson Laboratory (http://www.informatics.jax.org/mgihome/nomen/strain 129.shtml) and the recommended designations were used in this article.’
- ‘This conclusion might be limited to the substrains that were used in Chubb's article.’
- ‘DA3 Hi, a highly metastatic substrain of the DA3 marine breast adenocarcinoma, cell line was obtained from Professor I. Witz (Department of Immunology, Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University).’
- ‘MOYO-R substrain derives from the Moyo-In-Dry strain.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.