Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A strain of a virus derived from another strain.
- ‘MOYO-R substrain derives from the Moyo-In-Dry strain.’
- ‘Experiments with "knockout" mice, substrains with specific genes subtracted from their genome, have made it easier to decipher how the many cytokines contribute to immune cell maturation.’
- ‘Bacteria of this "difficult to kill" substrain then increase their numbers and repopulate the stomach.’
- ‘Organisms most commonly associated with infections are often a small subset of the total strains that constitute a species, and these substrains may exhibit little diversity.’
- ‘The G ^ sub strain ^ term includes the bonded (bond, bond-angle, and torsional angles) and the van der Waals energy, which is calculated by molecular mechanics using GROMOS96.’
- ‘The nomenclature for 129 substrains has been revised by the Jackson Laboratory (http://www.informatics.jax.org/mgihome/nomen/strain 129.shtml) and the recommended designations were used in this article.’
- ‘Genetic crosses were performed to obtain F 1 intercross progeny between the P. gallinaceum-susceptible A. aegypti RED strain and the P. gallinaceum-resistant A. aegypti MOYO-R substrain.’
- ‘DA3 Hi, a highly metastatic substrain of the DA3 marine breast adenocarcinoma, cell line was obtained from Professor I. Witz (Department of Immunology, Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University).’
- ‘This conclusion might be limited to the substrains that were used in Chubb's article.’
- ‘During treatment the substrains with the steepest kill curve will disappear first.’
- ‘A mosquito F 2 population was obtained from pairwise matings between the parasite-susceptible RED strain and the resistant MOYO-R substrain.’
- ‘Selection of the substrain and relative susceptibilities of the MOYO-R substrain and the RED strain are described by THATHY et al. 1994.’
- ‘Parts of the M. tuberculosis genome that are absent from the genomes of all BCG substrains and most NTM have been identified.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.