One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A localized disturbance of the earth's magnetic field in high latitudes, typically manifested as an aurora.
- ‘A magnetospheric substorm has three distinct phases: growth, expansion, and recovery.’
- ‘NASA satellites and ground observatories will be able to study the solar substorms behind aurora borealis.’
- ‘A typical example of how both missions will co-operate is the study of the magnetic substorms producing the bright aurorae.’
- ‘The jagged peaks mark the arrival of electrons in substorms, and they gradually drift away again.’
- ‘Observations from satellites and from widely-spaced observing points on the earth's surface show that substorms typically originate at the auroral zone on that part of the earth opposite the sun.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.