One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A localized disturbance of the earth's magnetic field in high latitudes, typically manifested as an aurora.
- ‘A magnetospheric substorm has three distinct phases: growth, expansion, and recovery.’
- ‘NASA satellites and ground observatories will be able to study the solar substorms behind aurora borealis.’
- ‘Observations from satellites and from widely-spaced observing points on the earth's surface show that substorms typically originate at the auroral zone on that part of the earth opposite the sun.’
- ‘The jagged peaks mark the arrival of electrons in substorms, and they gradually drift away again.’
- ‘A typical example of how both missions will co-operate is the study of the magnetic substorms producing the bright aurorae.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.