Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A space that is wholly contained in another space, or whose points or elements are all in another space.
- ‘He represented subspaces of a space by coordinates leading to point mapping of an algebraic manifold now called the Grassmannian.’
- ‘We may ask that the function be differentiable on one-dimensional subspaces; here one is led to the theory of the Gâteaux differential.’
- ‘As in decision trees, the internal nodes in a qualitative tree specify conditions that split the attribute space into subspaces.’
- ‘Kaluznin also worked in the area of geometrical algebra, particularly on arrangements of subspaces in Euclidean and unitary spaces.’
- ‘Gallarati studied properties of varieties whose tangent spaces meet certain linear subspaces along spaces of dimension higher than expected.’
2mass noun (in science fiction) a hypothetical space–time continuum used for communication at a speed faster than that of light.
- ‘He regrets only that they never learned how to use subspace communication through the Tempest's interference, so he could give a final report to Central Command.’
- ‘I did not know your race had the capability of subspace communication.’
- ‘The warp technology of Star Trek, however, allows a spacecraft and its inhabitants to travel many times faster than light by moving through subspace, a theoretical parallel universe in which Einstein's theories do not apply.’
- ‘As quickly as the ship slipped into subspace, the light hole flashed away leaving no trace it ever had existed.’
- ‘Serves me right: apparently (and this was explained to me very carefully before I moved here) there's a ring of fractalized subspace around the entire block.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.