Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
After a particular thing has happened; afterwards.‘the officer decided to stop and subsequently made an arrest’‘the work was accepted for inclusion in the Paris Salon of 1880 and was subsequently sold to an important collector’
later, later on, at a later date, at some point in the future, at some time in the future, at a subsequent time, afterwards, in due course, following that, following this, eventually, then, next, by and byafter a bitthereafter, thereuponView synonyms
- ‘The Rat Pack also recommended him to their management company which subsequently signed him up.’
- ‘A man in his twenties was subsequently arrested and the other was released on bail due to medical reasons.’
- ‘She then left her and took a taxi but was arrested when it was subsequently stopped by police.’
- ‘Much of the couple's efforts subsequently went on enabling their own family to emigrate to the West.’
- ‘I got there too late to stop that and subsequently got back too late for this.’
- ‘Herbert was arrested on the same day and subsequently charged with her murder.’
- ‘I subsequently found out everyone else stopped watching it at about the same time.’
- ‘The man was taken by ambulance to York District Hospital, but was subsequently discharged.’
- ‘He has subsequently become a master of artspeak and a sometimes socialist.’
- ‘Why he was not arrested when he subsequently visited the USA he cannot explain.’
- ‘Gibson, after whom that desert was subsequently named, was never heard of again.’
- ‘He was landed off the coast of Clare by a German submarine and was subsequently arrested.’
- ‘Another allegation subsequently surfaced from the parent of a former pupil.’
- ‘Wilson was subsequently arrested because his fingerprints were found on one of the windows.’
- ‘Marina subsequently posed for a fetish magazine but was eventually reunited with her parents.’
- ‘At the time she was single, but shortly afterwards, she met the man whom she subsequently married.’
- ‘The man was subsequently lynched and thereafter Hammett believed he was living in a corrupt society.’
- ‘Again, the area of concern was subsequently notable for its total absence from my slumbering mind.’
- ‘He was subsequently arrested by a heroic Garda and some members of the local community.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.