One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a series of concerts for which tickets are sold mainly in advance.
- ‘The Wesendoncks were in the audience, as they were again for the next subscription concert, on 17 February, when Wagner conducted Beethoven's Coriolanus Overture and Fifth Symphony.’
- ‘Indeed, Debussy was the composer most performed at Schoenberg's private subscription concerts.’
- ‘By the late eighteenth century, it was possible to attend the opera or a subscription concert at one of London's several concert halls on every night of the week.’
- ‘The concert, a fitting finale to the Music Society's subscription concert series, will be given in Chipping Campden School Hall, Cider Mill Lane, at 8pm.’
- ‘The middle class was not the public of the subscription concerts of the Philharmonic Society or Paris Conservatoire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.