Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The automatic connection of trunk calls by dialling without the assistance of an operator.
- ‘Each of our hotel rooms is provided with bath/shower, WC, cable-TV, radio, mini-bar and subscriber trunk dialling telephone.’
- ‘From then on this sector sees rapid development moving from subscriber trunk dialling, international direct dialling, internet and e-mail using cable and satellite communications.’
- ‘The number of pay phones installed totalled 19,230, of which 7,555 were for STD (subscriber trunk dialling) and ISD (international subscriber dialling), while the remaining 11,675 were for local calls.’
- ‘The Meter No. l9, when connected to a subscriber's line, will indicate to the subscriber the number of charge units which have been registered on his meter in the exchange when subscriber trunk dialling is in operation.’
- ‘The facility allows long distance calls within the State and Pondicherry to be made from phones not provided with the subscriber trunk dialling facility.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.