[mass noun] The automatic connection of trunk calls by dialling without the assistance of an operator.
- ‘The Meter No. l9, when connected to a subscriber's line, will indicate to the subscriber the number of charge units which have been registered on his meter in the exchange when subscriber trunk dialling is in operation.’
- ‘From then on this sector sees rapid development moving from subscriber trunk dialling, international direct dialling, internet and e-mail using cable and satellite communications.’
- ‘Each of our hotel rooms is provided with bath/shower, WC, cable-TV, radio, mini-bar and subscriber trunk dialling telephone.’
- ‘The facility allows long distance calls within the State and Pondicherry to be made from phones not provided with the subscriber trunk dialling facility.’
- ‘The number of pay phones installed totalled 19,230, of which 7,555 were for STD (subscriber trunk dialling) and ISD (international subscriber dialling), while the remaining 11,675 were for local calls.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.