The automatic connection of trunk calls by dialling without the assistance of an operator.
- ‘The number of pay phones installed totalled 19,230, of which 7,555 were for STD (subscriber trunk dialling) and ISD (international subscriber dialling), while the remaining 11,675 were for local calls.’
- ‘Each of our hotel rooms is provided with bath/shower, WC, cable-TV, radio, mini-bar and subscriber trunk dialling telephone.’
- ‘The facility allows long distance calls within the State and Pondicherry to be made from phones not provided with the subscriber trunk dialling facility.’
- ‘The Meter No. l9, when connected to a subscriber's line, will indicate to the subscriber the number of charge units which have been registered on his meter in the exchange when subscriber trunk dialling is in operation.’
- ‘From then on this sector sees rapid development moving from subscriber trunk dialling, international direct dialling, internet and e-mail using cable and satellite communications.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.