Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A simple device or bearing that is less common than the ordinaries (e.g. roundel, orle, lozenge).
- ‘There are many different subordinaries used in heraldry.’
- ‘Another series of simple devices are termed subordinaries, and these include such as the canton, the gyron and the label.’
- ‘Having read the blazon carefully, we know which ordinaries, subordinaries or charges we have to put in our shield.’
- ‘When several subordinaries or other charges appear in a shield, their number & position must be indicated in the blazon.’
- ‘Among the charges considered by some to be subordinaries and by others to be common charges are the pall and roundle.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.