One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of less than the highest standard or quality.‘suboptimal working conditions’
- ‘Everyone knows cookies, candy, cakes, pies, ice cream and other sweets offer suboptimal nutrition.’
- ‘In observational studies of handwashing, the frequency and quality of hand hygiene are consistently suboptimal.’
- ‘Much of the time, management of patients who become critically ill before admission to an ICU may be suboptimal.’
- ‘I complained that conditions were suboptimal.’
- ‘The presence of endometriosis, tubal factor, or suboptimal sperm quality may halve the likelihood of spontaneous conception.’
- ‘Their disappointing results were largely due to suboptimal screening methods.’
- ‘The process of implementation has been suboptimal, leading to reports of low morale by the NHS staff responsible for implementation.’
- ‘The increasing scarcity of more desirable hardwoods led people to make use of structurally suboptimal building materials.’
- ‘Currently, most bottled waters contain suboptimal levels of fluoride.’
- ‘Restrictions on trade provide, at best, a suboptimal approach to wildlife conservation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.