One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of a pair of salivary glands situated below the parotid glands.Also called submaxillary gland
- ‘This was centred in the left submandibular region anterior to the left submandibular gland.’
- ‘The submandibular glands produce a mixture of serous and mucous saliva.’
- ‘The hypertrophied submandibular gland, or a ptosis of the platysma muscle which hangs down, causes a bad result when using liposuction alone.’
- ‘Swollen submandibular glands and parotid glands as well as esophagitis, esophageal spasm, and esophageal tearing and potentially fatal ruptures can occur from constant vomiting.’
- ‘Neoplasms can occur in the parotid, sublingual or submandibular glands, or in the minor salivary glands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.