One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Situated beneath the jaw or mandible.
- ‘But I have used a technique where the submental and submandibular areas are liposuctioned.’
- ‘The patient, on the same day, had lesions in the right forearm, right supra-clavicular and left submandibular areas sclerosed using direct ethanol injection.’
- ‘Among the reactive conditions, Kimura disease was considered because of the clinical presentation of a tumorlike swelling in the submandibular subcutaneous area with typical lymphadenopathy.’
- ‘At birth he was noted to have very subtle left neck swelling in the submandibular area, which was interpreted to be prominent skinfolds and increased subcutaneous fat.’
- ‘For example, cancers of the oral cavity typically metastasize to the submandibular triangle, whereas cancers from most other sites in the head and neck spread to the lateral neck.’
- 1.1 Relating to or affecting a submandibular gland.
- ‘Edema, halitosis and drooling may be present, and tender submandibular or cervical lymphadenopathy is not uncommon.’
- ‘There are early jowls and often submental and submandibular fat, as well as the presence of microgenia.’
- ‘Because of the clinical presentation of submandibular and mediastinal lymph node enlargement, this patient was thought to have lymphoma on radiologic examination.’
- ‘One year later, a recurrent lesion was noted in the remaining anterior mandible with multiple left submandibular and cervical lymphadenopathy.’
- ‘There was no significant skin erythema or any apparent cervical or submandibular lymphadenopathy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.