Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Belonging to this world as contrasted with a better or more spiritual one:‘the concept was irrational to sublunary minds’
earthly, terrestrial, temporal, mundane, mortal, human, non-spiritual, unspiritual, material, materialistic, physical, tangible, carnal, fleshly, bodily, corporeal, gross, sensual, base, sordid, vile, profaneView synonyms
- ‘Aristotle believed that most reasoning, including reasoning about what to do and about sublunary natural phenomena, dealt with things that hold ‘always or for the most part.’’
- ‘Dante transports an earthly historicity into his heaven and hell, in an idiom which is both sublime and sublunary.’
- ‘He inhabits a world where historical activity is surrounded by supernatural forces, where the numinous constantly interpenetrates the dull sublunary world of common sense.’
- ‘The laicization and secularizing of death stemming from the Scientific Revolution led to sublimation of the belief in a divine afterlife into the prospect of a sublunary life extension.’
- ‘Following Aristotle and the Platonists, Abraham divided the universe into three parts: the spiritual, celestial, and sublunary worlds.’
- ‘In the sublunary world, elemental powers are simple and deterministic.’
- ‘All corporal bodies were deemed to be the product of two principles - primary matter and an added ‘something’ called form - but an absolute distinction was made between the unchanging heavens and the corruptible sublunary universe.’
- ‘‘In numerology,’ Shapiro writes, seven ‘is the number of eternity and mutability, of the temporal, sublunary world and the world of the eternal Sabbath.’’
Late 16th century (in the sense ‘terrestrial’): from modern Latin sublunaris.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.