One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having an effect less than lethal.
- ‘Bovie and Hughes found that a sublethal dose of UV rays at 280 nm inhibited cell division of Paramecia.’
- ‘The sublethal water deficit as determined by the dehydration - resaturation experiments indicates that irreversible damage of the leaves occurs for all species, if roughly half of the saturation water content is lost.’
- ‘The response at longer wavelengths was also different in that it displayed a threshold, temperature coefficient of 2 and caused retarded growth and other sublethal effects.’
- ‘There was no sublethal damage to the one-day-old plants, which were all killed when attacked.’
- ‘Not only is the ability to induce Hsps reduced in senescent animals, but a brief, sublethal heat shock to young animals has been reported to extend life span.’
- ‘These observations left unresolved the role of chronic sublethal stress or biological factors, e.g., competition and predation, in setting distribution limits in the rocky intertidal zone.’
- ‘By confining small fish to living in suboptimal foraging habitat, predation may have important sublethal effects on populations.’
- ‘Other work in this field has focused on cellular and enzymatic biomarkers as indicators of sublethal effects.’
- ‘In this part of the shell there is a reduction in septal spacing and there are no sublethal injuries.’
- ‘If only a few shells in a population display sublethal damage, then either the attack rate is high and most attacks are lethal, or both the lethal and sublethal attack rates are extremely low.’
- ‘From 1979 to 1985, he conducted his own extensive collaborative research program on the sublethal effects of oil on seabirds.’
- ‘Insects generally will recover from a sublethal dose.’
- ‘The impacts of, an attracticide approach can include both lethal and sublethal effects such as the interference with mate location by males.’
- ‘These studies, some of which have been presented above, document the sublethal effects of contaminants on the cellular signaling mechanisms of animals.’
- ‘In the past, these parameters have been chosen with limited insight into the lethal and sublethal injury that may occur on a cellular level.’
- ‘Initially, we wanted to use the maximum sublethal dose, which would have been approximately 8 g/g weight for a normal hemoglobin mouse of the same mixed background as the sickle mouse.’
- ‘Toxic effects may be either lethal, causing death, or sublethal.’
- ‘In many systems, sublethal oxidative stress was found to be involved either directly or indirectly in PCD processes.’
- ‘What is the nature of the damage inflicted by mechanical stress and how can this damage, including sublethal damage to cells, be detected?’
- ‘Anything breathing the air or drinking the water is also exposed to a soup of chemicals, like dioxins, PCBs, and heavy metals, that can also have important sublethal effects.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.