One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘We might add that this subjectless experience is what can only be called ‘transcendental’.’
- ‘The interpretation of Dutch art had been strongly conditioned by Eugene Fromentin's famous view of this painting as essentially subjectless.’
- ‘Thus Brentano's theory draws a sharp line between judgement and predication in recognizing judgements with a non-predicational content and in taking subjectless sentences at face value.’
- ‘The word "sorry" can be used with a preposition phrase headed by for where the preposition has as its complement a subjectless gerund-participial clause or a noun phrase denoting an act.’
- ‘A few newspapers do use subjectless tensed headlines - I've seen it in the Chicago area - but most do not.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.