One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A subdivision of a genre of literature, music, film, etc.
- ‘It is not coincidental that tragicomedy has surfaced as a subgenre in war literature.’
- ‘In his preface to the anthology of short stories written by Sujatha Rangarajan, a major Tamil writer, the author admits that as a subgenre, science fiction has not been widely practised by Tamil writers.’
- ‘During the 1990s more critical work has appeared on the Anglo-Irish ‘national novel’ than in any decade since 1800-1810 when, by common consent, the subgenre first appeared.’
- ‘The film was written and directed by Preston Sturges, a director known for the subgenre of ‘screwball’ comedies that he perfected with ‘the Sturges touch.’’
- ‘Gangsta rap is generally considered a subgenre of the larger category of rap music, which itself is a subcategory of hip-hop.’
- ‘It also employs a number of new and old-fashioned genres, including the currently popular subgenre of literary detection, in the best postmodern style.’
- ‘His first foray into feature film-making is successful, although Ice Age is not a standout in the still-small subgenre of computer animated films.’
- ‘There was also the breaking down of the music into subgenre after sub-genre, to the point at which it became somehow incomprehensible.’
- ‘The search for the origins of a work of art has already become a literary subgenre, A.S. Byatt's Possession being a prime example.’
- ‘Subsequently, the movie Fast Times has received recognition for employing the subgenre of vulgar teen comedy as a framework for focusing upon issues such as teenage pregnancy, abortion and promiscuity.’
- ‘In general, only two kinds of Mexican melodramas were structured around woman's identity and presented from a female point of view: the fallen-but-redeemed-by-motherhood women's films and the cabaretera subgenre.’
- ‘Some subgenres, such as the Gothic and science fiction, have until now made little headway in Arabic popular culture.’
- ‘In music, the subgenre marketed as ‘hard trance’ comes closest to radical anonymity.’
- ‘One of the most tried and true of the movie subgenres is the heist film.’
- ‘Gibson all but invented the cyberpunk subgenre, and is also responsible for writing Johnny Mnemonic.’
- ‘It is not surprising that the neo-slave narrative became such a significant subgenre in late twentieth-century African American fiction, given the recursive logic of so much postmodern culture.’
- ‘The opening chapter defines various styles of jazz and clarifies the objective of the course: to teach the subgenre of jazz known as ‘smooth’ jazz.’
- ‘The whole subgenre of disco musicals could have been explored and sent up.’
- ‘The dog memoir has formed a distinct branch within the canine subgenre of the literary animal story.’
- ‘It was, however, in the ‘invention’ of the musical play, which encompasses such subgenres as operetta, burlesques, revues, and, of course, the traditional musical comedy, that the American stage truly stood out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.