One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A subdivision of a genre of literature, music, film, etc.
- ‘One of the most tried and true of the movie subgenres is the heist film.’
- ‘The dog memoir has formed a distinct branch within the canine subgenre of the literary animal story.’
- ‘Gangsta rap is generally considered a subgenre of the larger category of rap music, which itself is a subcategory of hip-hop.’
- ‘Some subgenres, such as the Gothic and science fiction, have until now made little headway in Arabic popular culture.’
- ‘There was also the breaking down of the music into subgenre after sub-genre, to the point at which it became somehow incomprehensible.’
- ‘The search for the origins of a work of art has already become a literary subgenre, A.S. Byatt's Possession being a prime example.’
- ‘It is not coincidental that tragicomedy has surfaced as a subgenre in war literature.’
- ‘It is not surprising that the neo-slave narrative became such a significant subgenre in late twentieth-century African American fiction, given the recursive logic of so much postmodern culture.’
- ‘Subsequently, the movie Fast Times has received recognition for employing the subgenre of vulgar teen comedy as a framework for focusing upon issues such as teenage pregnancy, abortion and promiscuity.’
- ‘The film was written and directed by Preston Sturges, a director known for the subgenre of ‘screwball’ comedies that he perfected with ‘the Sturges touch.’’
- ‘His first foray into feature film-making is successful, although Ice Age is not a standout in the still-small subgenre of computer animated films.’
- ‘The opening chapter defines various styles of jazz and clarifies the objective of the course: to teach the subgenre of jazz known as ‘smooth’ jazz.’
- ‘In general, only two kinds of Mexican melodramas were structured around woman's identity and presented from a female point of view: the fallen-but-redeemed-by-motherhood women's films and the cabaretera subgenre.’
- ‘The whole subgenre of disco musicals could have been explored and sent up.’
- ‘Gibson all but invented the cyberpunk subgenre, and is also responsible for writing Johnny Mnemonic.’
- ‘It also employs a number of new and old-fashioned genres, including the currently popular subgenre of literary detection, in the best postmodern style.’
- ‘It was, however, in the ‘invention’ of the musical play, which encompasses such subgenres as operetta, burlesques, revues, and, of course, the traditional musical comedy, that the American stage truly stood out.’
- ‘In his preface to the anthology of short stories written by Sujatha Rangarajan, a major Tamil writer, the author admits that as a subgenre, science fiction has not been widely practised by Tamil writers.’
- ‘In music, the subgenre marketed as ‘hard trance’ comes closest to radical anonymity.’
- ‘During the 1990s more critical work has appeared on the Anglo-Irish ‘national novel’ than in any decade since 1800-1810 when, by common consent, the subgenre first appeared.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.