Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sideways and downward movement of the edge of a plate of the earth's crust into the mantle beneath another plate.as modifier ‘subduction zone’
- ‘There are two possible tectonic settings for the deep subduction of Indian Plate continental crust in the early Tertiary.’
- ‘These extensional faults were reactivated as reverse faults during Neogene compression associated with subduction beneath the North Island.’
- ‘Nevertheless, subduction of Africa beneath Iberia starting in the Late Eocene has been proposed.’
- ‘The Spontang ophiolitc, for example, is associated with partial subduction of buoyant continental crust.’
- ‘These rocks are interpreted as a forearc succession that developed in association with north-directed subduction beneath the Lhasa terrane.’
1970s: via French from Latin subductio(n-), from subduct- ‘drawn from below’, from the verb subducere.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.