Beneath a rib; below the ribs.
- ‘A light blow delivered to the right subcostal area may elicit a marked increase in pain.’
- ‘Then a left subcostal incision was performed, and the hemidiaphragm was exposed.’
- ‘The parietal branches include the posterior intercostal, subcostal, and the superior phrenic.’
- ‘A tender, fluctuant 8-cm mass was felt in the right upper quadrant, several centimeters inferior to a subcostal scar from a previous open cholecystectomy.’
- ‘Nine months after the initial diagnosis, the patient had a second exploratory laparotomy via a bilateral subcostal incision.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.