One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A motor vehicle which is smaller than a compact.
- ‘The first is a steering ratio approximately 30-percent quicker than normal at low to medium road speeds, Suddenly a large, long-wheelbase sedan is able to mimic a subcompact's agile moves.’
- ‘But the end result is as different from its previous incarnation as a subcompact is from a luxury sedan.’
- ‘The first salvo in the car strategy will be the new Versa subcompact, which goes on sale in summer 2006.’
- ‘Sony and Canon both make excellent subcompacts that actually have amazing amounts of power in a very small size.’
- ‘Demand for the Yaris subcompacts this pristine plant cranks out is outstripping the 920-per-day output.’
- ‘Toyota this year plans to ship abroad as many as 43,000 Soluna Vios sedans, Corolla Artis subcompacts, and Hilux Tiger pickups, up fourfold from 2002.’
- ‘We never had a vehicle so contemporary going after the subcompact segment to attract a younger, more upscale - probably import - buyer.’
- ‘The Matiz subcompact was once a popular choice in Western Europe.’
- ‘Car buyers who in recent years favored mini subcompacts selling for under $10,000 are suddenly putting their money down for luxury sedans.’
- ‘Volkswagen plans to introduce its subcompact hatchback Polo, at $15,000 to $17,000, and Toyota Motor Corp. will produce a similarly priced passenger car.’
- ‘The various models Plymouth marketed, including minivans and the Neon subcompact, were sold in virtually identical versions by the stronger Dodge division.’
- ‘This year, three new car models are to be launched, including a subcompact and a sedan.’
- ‘Its best-selling car of the late 1990s, the Fiesta subcompact, was virtually the same car it produced a decade earlier.’
- ‘Output of Anna's first car engines, for the subcompact Civic, began a year later.’
- ‘It was procured by five key Atlantic film producers and Telefilm officials who crammed themselves, their luggage, and a 35 mm print into a perky subcompact for the 20-hour drive.’
- ‘Nissan will launch the all-new March and Cube subcompacts, derived from the B-platform shared with Renault.’
- ‘Fukui's biggest claim to fame was helming the launch of Honda's successful Fit subcompact in Japan.’
- ‘But Scion, which launches in California in June with two new subcompacts directed at the sizable Generation Y, is a long-term investment that Farley is sure will pay off handsomely.’
- ‘And in Japan, stylish numbers such as the March subcompact and the boxy Cube micro-van are driving sales.’
- ‘Hyundai, Korea's leading automaker, arrived in the U.S. in 1986 with the Excel subcompact.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.