Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Existing, formed, or taking place under water.‘their larvae have to pass through a wholly subaqueous phase’
undersea, submarine, sub-aquaticView synonyms
- ‘The authors conclude that their findings ‘suggest that microbial life colonized these subaqueous volcanic rocks soon after their eruption almost 3.5 billion years ago.’’
- ‘Such channels or chutes are common on the subaqueous slopes of steep-faced deltas.’
- ‘The contribution by Manning emphasizes the similar processes that occur in subaqueous sediments and in landfill sites.’
- ‘Meltwater discharge and deposition of subaqueous outwash have virtually no role in sedimentation.’
- ‘The upper horizon with abundant Paradictyodora in the Beta Member represents sedimentation on the delta slope and distal subaqueous delta platform.’
- ‘In East Falkland, pebbly sandstones have been interpreted as subaqueous debris flows.’
- ‘Stacked, turbidite-sandstone-filled lenses also occur beneath fan delta sandbodies and probably record infill of channels or chutes cut into the subaqueous slopes of such deltas.’
- ‘With equal imperception it bent down and down, closer and closer to the lake waters, murky with the samba of subaqueous weeds and the abyss.’
- ‘The deposits of Champagne Pool comprise a subaerially exposed grey sinter rim, a subaqueous orange sinter shelf and slope, and microstromatolitic sinter that is rooted upon the sinter shelf.’
- ‘Five species responded primarily to lake level, which affects the general distribution of sand and mud bottoms and the intensity of subaqueous spring discharge.’
- ‘Samples from subaqueous orange sinter deposits around the pool margin appear to be dominated by small coccoid cells, 500 nm to 1 m in diameter, and rods c.1 m long.’
- ‘Overlying these is the Haeengefjeldet Formation, a sequence of subaqueous pyroclastic and epiclastic deposits that thicken to the south west.’
- ‘It generally shows a fining-upward trend with four facies associations: alluvial fan fringe, subaqueous delta lobe, delta front, and shallow lake.’
- ‘Smaller fluvial or subaqueous overprints of former submarine channel morphologies and even desiccation or fracturing may be sought to test our model.’
- ‘Turbid, cold waters are often sufficiently dense to plunge beneath the surface waters and flow down the slope to form subaqueous fans with channels and levées as seen in fluviomarine deltas.’
- ‘Halite precipitation takes the form of subaqueous cumulates, or subaqueous bottom or intrasediment precipitates.’
- ‘An alternative origin as a Large Igneous Province is less likely, as the volcanic rocks should be mainly relatively depleted subaqueous flood basalts rather than alkali basalts associated with slope talus.’
- ‘The lower part is interpreted as channel fills associated with the subaqueous toes of small deltas flowing off the Bolkar Carbonate Platform into a marginal marine setting.’
- ‘The shallow subaqueous shelf around the pool is covered with orange sinter.’
- ‘The environment is interpreted as a dominantly subaqueous delta top, similar to the modern Mississippi but with meandering distributary channels.’
- 1.1 Lacking in substance or strength.‘the light that filtered through the leaves was pale, subaqueous’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.