One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal that is not fully adult.‘subadults were distinguished by their pelage’as modifier ‘subadult polar bears’
- ‘Adults and subadults also fed pups a higher proportion of prey biomass than juveniles of the same sex.’
- ‘The most difficult thing is to obtain different sized specimens to work with, because ideally you need material from hatchling to subadult to adult.’
- ‘Although most non-breeders and failed nesters left the breeding colony to molt, small flocks of molting adults and subadults without young were seen on Bylot Island every year.’
- ‘Resident associates or betas were adults / subadults with home ranges that overlapped extensively with those of resident breeders and were directly observed interacting with breeding residents.’
- ‘Last year, fires devastated the forests of Far Eastern Russia, where conservation efforts had apparently stabilised numbers of the Amur tiger at 300-400 adults and subadults.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.