One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal that is not fully adult.‘subadults were distinguished by their pelage’as modifier ‘subadult polar bears’
- ‘Although most non-breeders and failed nesters left the breeding colony to molt, small flocks of molting adults and subadults without young were seen on Bylot Island every year.’
- ‘Last year, fires devastated the forests of Far Eastern Russia, where conservation efforts had apparently stabilised numbers of the Amur tiger at 300-400 adults and subadults.’
- ‘Adults and subadults also fed pups a higher proportion of prey biomass than juveniles of the same sex.’
- ‘Resident associates or betas were adults / subadults with home ranges that overlapped extensively with those of resident breeders and were directly observed interacting with breeding residents.’
- ‘The most difficult thing is to obtain different sized specimens to work with, because ideally you need material from hatchling to subadult to adult.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.