One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a small local post office offering fewer services than a main post office.
- ‘The postmistress at the sub-post office was emphatic that small packages to Europe no longer required green customs slips.’
- ‘‘This has been on the cards for several years and we have been looking at ways of cutting our costs and one of these was the conversion from company staffed post offices to sub-post offices,’ she said.’
- ‘The number of Counter Attack forms sent in by readers worried about the future of their local sub-post office has passed the 1,000 mark and is still rising.’
- ‘They believed, like this paper, that sub-post offices were vital to their communities, providing crucial local services to local people - particularly the elderly.’
- ‘We must stop this because sub-post offices offer important and invaluable services for local people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.