One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A handheld lightweight machine gun.
- ‘An inventory of pistols, handguns, rifles, shotguns and sub-machine guns found 184 had been stolen and 265 lost.’
- ‘The firearms range from handguns to sub-machine guns, shotguns, assault rifles, grenade launchers, up to machine guns and sniper rifles.’
- ‘Three or four officers came in first, followed by about half a dozen hefty soldiers carrying rifles and sub-machine guns.’
- ‘They also accumulated home-made detonators, rifles with long-distance sights, a hand grenade, revolvers fitted with silencers, sub-machine guns and ammunition.’
- ‘These included self-loading pistols and sub-machine guns, which had the potential to be lethal weapons.’
- ‘Each patrol was equipped with ten Lewis machine guns, four Boyes anti-tank rifles, anti-aircraft guns, Bren guns and Thompson sub-machine guns.’
- ‘The weapons - a Sten sub-machine gun and two handguns along with a silencer - were taken by trailer to Wilson's premises, said the prosecution.’
- ‘Hayes said that during the undercover Operation Stormer, conducted in May, 48 firearms consisting of assault rifles and Uzi sub-machine guns as well as 9mm pistols were recovered in Grahamstown.’
- ‘The different types of weapons will be handguns, rifles, shotguns and sub-machine guns.’
- ‘Police in North Belfast yesterday displayed the weapons, which included home-made sub-machine guns, a shotgun, and pipe bombs.’
- ‘It is understood the Tactical Aid Group which carried out the initial raid were wearing body armour which can provide protection from knives, handguns, or even sub-machine guns.’
- ‘A machine gun, a sub-machine gun and two double-barrelled sawn-off shotguns were found along with a quantity of cocaine following a police raid on a house in Roundhay Avenue.’
- ‘You can use just about any weapon, even sub-machine guns, as sniper rifles.’
- ‘Developments in sub-machine guns since 1945 have concentrated on bringing them closer to assault rifles and shrinking them in size.’
- ‘They detained five suspects in possession of four pistols, an AK - 47 assault rifle and a sub-machine gun outfitted with a silencer.’
- ‘There are varieties of pistols, rifles, sub-machine guns and other firearms available, as well as an assortment of rocket launchers and cannons.’
- ‘The weapons included a revolver, a semi-automatic pistol and a sub-machine gun.’
- ‘As Mr Williams was helping an elderly woman off the train, another 10 to 15 police officers with pistols and sub-machine guns ran up.’
- ‘Today's crime fighters are equipped with the best rifles and sub-machine guns available, with Kevlar vests, and they are very mobile.’
- ‘There were nine prisons officials, armed with 9mm pistols, sub-machine guns and pump action rifles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.