One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Effective at persuading someone to do something.
convincing, effective, cogent, compelling, potent, forceful, eloquent, impressive, weighty, influential, sound, valid, powerful, strong, effectual, efficacious, winning, telling, plausible, credibleView synonyms
- ‘Structural patterns in linguistic and thematic features can contribute to the suasory force of a discourse.’
- ‘As long as the death penalty remains legal, the relative suasory skill of prosecuting and defense attorneys will play an important role in determining whether defendants in murder trials receive the ultimate sanction.’
- ‘What theologians do is create a new suasory language for theological discourse.’
- ‘I take rhetoric to be the rationale of informative and suasory discourse.’
- ‘In most cases, audiences recognize that arguments, reasons, and suasory efforts are being directed at them.’
Late 16th century: from Latin suasorius, from the verb suadere (see suasion).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.