One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nountrademark in US
A miniature electronic musical instrument producing a distinctive buzzing sound when a stylus is drawn along its metal keyboard.
- ‘Lashing whips, hollow gunshots, meaningless choruses, whistling, echoing pipes, tubular bells and stylophones are all tipped into the collage.’
- ‘Crackly vinyl sounds on laid-back guitar and stylophone close this album off with a warm smile and handshake, on the beautiful, beautiful ‘Last Walk Around Mirror Lake’.’
- ‘The only clue the police have to his identity is the fact that he appears to be a virtuoso stylophone player and only seems to be truly at ease when playing the magical instrument.’
- ‘I mean, I've grown up with Rolf on television, singing songs, painting pictures, hosting cartoon time, playing his didgeridoo and his stylophone.’
- ‘On one such visit to London, we chanced upon a stylophone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.