Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The study of the distinctive styles found in particular literary genres and in the works of individual writers.
- ‘Theories of a historical baroque period, as well as those of a resurgence of baroque ideology and stylistics, are both valid.’
- ‘The Elegy problem presents computational stylistics with some interesting possibilities.’
- ‘The stylistics are invitations to readerly involvement.’
- ‘The novel Ulysses is rich in liturgical references, Latin phrases, and catechetical stylistics.’
- ‘There is nothing ‘intelligent’ or ‘well-crafted’ about the film's stylistics.’
- ‘The black vernacular stylistics that distinguish Madhubuti's poetic career figure prominently.’
- ‘What are the internal components and stylistics that require these designations?’
- ‘He became known chiefly for his research work and academic career in English language studies, in such fields as intonation and stylistics, and in the application of linguistics to religious, educational and clinical contexts.’
- ‘In exploring the relationship between Emerson, Whitman, and Li-Young Lee, Partridge asserts that Lee as an artist is nourished by the stylistics of Emerson's and Whitman's transcendentalism.’
- ‘By deliberately adopting the stylistics of sentimentality in his screenplay, Cameron recalls yet another, less cynical time in Titanic.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.