One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A manual detailing the house style of a particular publisher, publication, etc.
- ‘I think the fact that I read the style guide sets me apart from everyone who actually writes for the Express.’
- ‘Even more wonderfully, his natural mode of expression was at odds with that paper's style guide.’
- ‘Style sheets for manuscript preparation are available on the NACTA web page or are available upon request.’
- ‘Even consider drawing up a house style sheet for the magazine, spelling out whether certain words are always hyphenated, capitals always used for others and so on.’
- ‘A resolution was passed suggesting that the ship's newspaper be turned over entirely to scholarly articles printed according to the rules of the MLA stylesheet.’
A type of template file consisting of font and layout settings to give a standardized look to documents.
- ‘If you force your browser to refresh the page then it should pick up the new style sheet.’
- ‘A cascading style sheet works behind the scenes to create the look of your entire site.’
- ‘I have been fiddling with the style sheet for most of today.’
- ‘By placing these instructions in a style sheet, the document instance is freed from the burden of carrying format information.’
- ‘Links to individual posts, categories or archives do not work with the new style sheet yet.’
- ‘Is that a browser-controlled thing or can it somehow be addressed in a style sheet?’
- ‘The number of GIFs refers to all images used in the documents, including images called from the style sheet.’
- ‘If you leave one or more values out of the declaration, it will take on its default value, even if you have previously set that value in the style sheet.’
- ‘They've got a PDF file that is basically a style sheet that she sent me.’
- ‘I've uploaded the new style sheet and the new html templates are there (the old ones are safely backed up).’
- ‘A single style sheet can be referenced from all of the XHTML pages, allowing a design to be quickly applied to the entire site or application.’
- ‘You will see a slight variation on this syntax when we actually use it in the dynamic style sheet.’
- ‘It sure looked and acted to me more like a style sheet than a template.’
- ‘If a user views an xls file using the XML style sheet, it's quite easy for an attacker to run or call executable code.’
- ‘If a redesign is required, changing the style sheet is all that is necessary to change the look of the entire site.’
- ‘Change is as easy as uploading a new style sheet.’
- ‘The code in the style sheet is telling the HTML page to position the DIV tag with the id of HEADER at an absolute position of 0 pixels from the left and top of the page and to be 600 pixels in width.’
- ‘By concentrating your style definition in one external file, any change you implement in your style sheet will instantly apply to all the web pages linked to it.’
- ‘The solution is to have a style sheet for printers (just as Digital Web Magazine does).’
- ‘And again, as always, we can apply a rough style sheet to this document, and slap a bit of mascara on that otherwise unimpressive wall of serifs.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.