One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dome-shaped building erected as a Buddhist shrine.
holy place, temple, church, chapel, tabernacle, altar, sanctuary, sanctumView synonyms
- ‘Inside stands a funeral stupa erected by none other than ‘His Excellency Ieng Sary’ for himself and his family.’
- ‘Larger villages may have a community temple, a community mill, and religious monuments called stupas and chorten.’
- ‘Aihole is one of those remarkable sites that span time and has evidence of dolmens, Buddhist chaityas and stupas, Jain and Hindu temples.’
- ‘At first, the Kushans attacked Buddhism but eventually they became great patrons, building many monasteries and stupas.’
- ‘Then at the same time the Tathagata dwelt together with bodhisattvas and others in the great stupa, in the mandala of the sphere of phenomena.’
- ‘Nearby is the stupa erected by the disciples of Mangong in memory of their master.’
- ‘At the higher levels these spirits overlap strongly with Buddhism and are embodied in stupas and temples.’
- ‘Her painting depicts a Buddhist stupa encircled in chains, suggesting peace in trouble.’
- ‘It was at the foot of the Dhauli stupa, the Japanese Buddhist Temple which is situated on a hill on the outskirts of modern Bhubaneswar.’
- ‘Drawing closer, you could see the clutter of centuries of Buddhist veneration: stupas, Buddha images and incense-blackened shrines.’
- ‘It's a constant visual smorgasbord of stupas, of prayer-wheels, of prayer-flags and chortens.’
- ‘Alexander Cunningham along with Captain F.C.Maisey discovered this location that contained some important Buddhist stupas and monasteries.’
- ‘It seems in the 9th century there was a Buddhist monastery in the spot where the Santi stupa, built in 1972 by the Kalinga Nippon Buddha Sangha, is now situated.’
- ‘We then went to the ruins of the Buddhist temple, Dharma Rajika stupa, said to be the most ancient in Pakistan.’
- ‘This is why you cannot find a single trace of Buddhist structures today in India, save for a few stupas, which were too cumbersome to be destroyed.’
- ‘Pagodas, for one example, are stylized step-pyramidal forms, while stupas and many Hindu temples (particularly those in Tamil regions) are articulated cone- and mound- forms.’
- ‘It contains the famous Shwezigon pagoda that also is based on the great stupa at Sanchi.’
- ‘Remnants of teaching monasteries, stupas, temples and shrines present a haunting spectacle of lost grandeur and of a vanished civilisation - that of Buddhism in India.’
- ‘The famous Mauryan Emperor, Ashoka, later erected a stupa to honour Sariputra's memory.’
- ‘Holy words, written in stone, fill marble slabs housed in 729 stupas at the Kuthodaw Pagoda.’
From Sanskrit stūpa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.