Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Extremely impressive or attractive.‘she looked stunning’
beautiful, handsome, attractive, lovely, good-looking, comely, pretty, sexyremarkable, extraordinary, staggering, incredible, impressive, outstanding, amazing, astonishing, marvellous, phenomenal, splendid, imposing, breathtaking, thrillingView synonyms
- ‘But one of the most stunning scenes of the movie was one of the least violent.’
- ‘The hotel, which opened in 1974, sits high above Langbank and the grounds have stunning views over the Firth of Clyde.’
- ‘Andrea Elvey hit the post before stunning interplay between Jo Martin and Kirsty Ormrod led to Brooks firing in Kendal's second.’
- ‘It wasn't until the 83rd minute that Fairfield scored their third goal through a Horsefield stunning solo run and finish.’
- ‘On the flight back, I was seated next to a stunningly beautiful Spanish woman.’
- ‘Eddie's stunning Donegal girlfriend Michelle Doherty was also present.’
- ‘Having reached the peak, we got a stunningly beautiful view of the verdant valley below encircled by green hills.’
- ‘The events of 1973 represented a magnificent achievement, the climax of eight stunning years at the top.’
- ‘There is nowhere better to experience stunning scenery, great country pubs and warm hospitality than the Yorkshire Dales.’
- ‘Vintage jewelry can be used as beautiful drapery tie-backs and they make stunning additions to wrapped presents.’
- ‘I don't know what's more stunning his poetic use of language or his photography.’
- ‘By the mid-1990s some stunning organic wines were gracing the shelves.’
- ‘The Three Sisters was originally a 1850s farm house with stunning views across the Worth Valley towards Ilkley Moor.’
- ‘For a truly stunning evening, the English National Ballet performs the adorable Swan Lake each night this week until Saturday.’
- ‘The book presents gems of new information, with stunning visual records of life in Mayo, in a fresh and accessible way.’
- ‘Finally tonight, the Mars rover Opportunity today sent stunning new images of Mars back to earth.’
- ‘In June and July, the white scented flowers have stunning golden stamens that are followed by dark purple-blue berries in autumn.’
- ‘My new temporary home in Encinitas was quite superb, walking distance away from stunning California beaches.’
- ‘For some exciting winter fishing in stunning surroundings, try Loch Alvie near Aviemore or the western fjords of Quoich or Arkaig.’
- ‘Safin said he feels like he's been to hell and back since his stunning US Open win but has finally emerged as a better player.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.