One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device used to immobilize an attacker without causing serious injury, typically by administering an electric shock.
- ‘The idea was developed to bridge the gap between kinetic rounds and devices designed for use at close-in range, such as stun guns.’
- ‘For years, the company maintained that its stun guns never caused a death or serious injury.’
- ‘According to Tucker, there is some confusion in the marketplace about the difference between stun guns and tasers.’
- ‘Police found him in possession of a Taser stun gun - a Section One prohibited weapon, under the Firearms Act, which discharges an electrical pulse, and is in use by the police.’
- ‘Police announced after the raid they had seized a small arsenal of weapons including a stun gun, an imitation firearm and a CS gas canister.’
- ‘This has led for calls to equip police with less dangerous weapons such as tasers, electric stun guns, capable of disabling people.’
- ‘In London 48 homes were raided over four days by 500 police officers, who seized four sub-machineguns, 108 handguns, 13 rifles, seven shotguns and 13 stun guns.’
- ‘The weapon was a taser, a stun gun that temporarily numbs your body with 50,000 volts of energy.’
- ‘Armed officers in Bradford have been given the go-ahead to use electric stun guns in firearms incidents.’
- ‘A motorist was shot, apparently with a Taser stun gun, during a road rage type attack as his young son looked on, police said last night.’
- ‘A loaded pistol was found in a search of the embassy, and also a stun gun, electroshock gun, if you like.’
- ‘An adolescent was subdued with a Taser stun gun and subsequently collapsed.’
- ‘The senate voted 36-25 not to endorse a recommendation that campus public safety officers be armed with Taser stun guns.’
- ‘Police in West Yorkshire used a taser electronic stun gun on a bus passenger who was wearing a rucksack, just six days after the London bombings, it was revealed yesterday.’
- ‘There was pepper spray, tasers, stun guns, and you know, stuff like that.’
- ‘Three firearms, an electric stun gun and three canisters of CS spray were also recovered.’
- ‘The Los Angeles Times newspaper has reported that the troops used a stun gun to administer electric shocks to a suspected resistance fighter.’
- ‘He eventually had to be subdued by police with taser stun guns.’
- ‘He was then stabbed with a sword and slashed with the machete and had a stun gun held against him before his attackers eventually left.’
- ‘United spent $1 million two years ago on 1,300 Taser stun guns and trained its pilots to use them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.