Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a man) sexually attractive in a strongly masculine way.‘a coterie of studly factory workers’
good-looking, attractive, nice-looking, handsome, lovely, beautiful, pretty, as pretty as a picture, stunning, striking, arresting, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistibleView synonyms
- ‘He's recovering from a bout of testicular cancer, an illness that does not conform to his studly, high-powered-attorney lifestyle.’
- ‘The girls' relationship is established early on as we see Elena kissing her studly Italian boyfriend while sis stares from across a table miserably gorging on a sundae.’
- ‘Sullivan is role-playing on the Web - a studly, porno-guy kind of role.’
- ‘With his high voice and studly physique, he was all male, yet whimperingly feminine.’
- ‘The studly young American daytime-soap actor who plays the 17-year-old gardener/toy boy/sex slave in the must-see TV event of the year.’
- ‘They are suckers for studly male stars who turn director.’
- ‘Raf is a young, studly, good looking, smooth talking, confident, worldly European guy.’
- ‘This studly Ethiopian emigrated to Montreal via Italy.’
- ‘He thought he was so studly that no one would ever turn him down.’
- ‘Fortunately the studly and resourceful Dan lined up a model for us.’
- ‘On occasion, Will and Vaughn can get away with it as they're young, studly dudes.’
- ‘Maura's ex - boyfriend, the studly star of the soccer team who turned out to be abusive, was now her stalker.’
- ‘That's when one of the racers, a studly blond 24-year-old, wheels by, looks at the tire, and then looks back at me.’
- ‘Besides, the only thing studly about Rick is the rivets on his Levi's!’
- ‘I was cheating on my high school boyfriend with a studly college lover.’
- ‘I admit to a liking for this episode since our favorite crusty Southern doctor gets the babe instead of his studly Captain and plays a more prominent role than usual in solving the episode's mystery.’
- ‘You still have your three studly lads to think and dream about.’
- ‘Young girls are almost duty-bound to swoon over Yume's studly instructor.’
- ‘Rudolf, whose promise seemed initially to reside entirely in his handsome face and studly frame, turns out to be a suitable replacement for his predecessor in more ways than one.’
- ‘However, it turns out the sixteen studly men had no idea that the lovelorn woman has no idea that they are not hot off the cover of that man's magazine.’
1960s: from stud.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.