Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A female prostitute or a promiscuous woman.
whore, sex worker, call girl, white slaveView synonyms
- ‘She eyed the two strumpets who were watching her.’
- ‘She meant something more to him than any of the strumpets he'd dallied with before.’
- ‘He was sighted on Monday night in Po Na Na's with with an arm around number of young strumpets.’
- ‘She acts annoyed by this strumpet disrupting her peace, but really she's annoyed by the flaunting of youth and indiscretion.’
- ‘It's strumpets like you who are setting back the women's rights movement.’
Middle English: of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.