One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unemployment resulting from industrial reorganization, typically due to technological change, rather than fluctuations in supply or demand.
- ‘The focus now is more properly on environmental sustainability and, as argued earlier, on the demographic implications of structural unemployment.’
- ‘It's true that the shift of service jobs to countries such as India, like other trade-related dislocation, adds to the temporary pain of structural unemployment.’
- ‘Exports will bear no relationship to our domestic employment as structural unemployment becomes increasingly obvious.’
- ‘Before 1994 greenfield investment was largely confined to areas with high structural unemployment.’
- ‘The consequence of this is structural unemployment - a situation in which increasing numbers of unemployed lose work skills.’
- ‘A third change to the nature of work since the 1970s has been the growth and acceptance of structural unemployment.’
- ‘This might lead to a conservation of the high level of structural unemployment.’
- ‘In addition to a reduction in structural unemployment, deregulation also lowers the incentive for surprise inflation.’
- ‘These factors contributed to sluggish economic growth and persistently high structural unemployment, especially in the eastern states.’
- ‘Bad historical luck could lock a group into the wrong skills or geography, causing retarded growth and structural unemployment.’
- ‘Financial Secretary Henry Tang said yesterday that Hong Kong's structural unemployment will take some time to ease.’
- ‘By the time of Mitterrand's exit from politics in 1995, the country suffered from a structural unemployment rate that hovered around 12 per cent.’
- ‘Workforce 2010 stresses the importance of investing in education, training and innovation as the key to reducing structural unemployment.’
- ‘The actual result was the decline by a third of Gaza's GDP, structural unemployment rates of between 25-30 per cent and the second Intifada.’
- ‘President Chirac's team made pledges on reforms which could diminish the high level of overall structural unemployment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.