A formula which shows the arrangement of atoms in the molecule of a compound.
- ‘Butene and ethene have the same empirical formula CH 2 but different molecular and structural formulas.’
- ‘At its most basic the structural formula is the chemical formula showing the bonds that are present.’
- ‘Like the molecular formula, the structural formula of a substance gives the exact number of atoms of each element per molecule.’
- ‘To provide the full molecular formula, the structural formula must also be considered.’
- ‘Two years later he ascertained its structural formula.’