Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nematode worm of a group that includes several common disease-causing parasites of mammals and birds.→ redworm
- ‘Veterinarians diagnose strongyle infection from microscopic observation of eggs in the feces.’
- ‘Prevalence and intensity analyses included only strongyle and coccidian parasites.’
- ‘The results were remarkably similar to the equine findings, vascular strongyle type parasitic infection.’
- ‘The most serious internal parasites are large and small strongyles, ascarids, bots, and pinworms.’
- ‘Fortunately, large strongyles can be effectively controlled with ivermectin and related dewormers.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Strongylus, from Greek strongulos round.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.