Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Interaction at short distances between certain subatomic particles mediated by the strong force.
- ‘They are the electromagnetic interaction, the weak interaction and the strong interaction.’
- ‘Quantum chromodynamics is the theory of the strong interaction that binds protons and neutrons together to form atomic nuclei.’
- ‘The electroweak and strong interactions coexist in a combined theory of the fundamental interactions called the standard model.’
- ‘Beychok and Warner have observed electrophoretically a strong interaction of lysozyme with chloride.’
- ‘Higgs decided to write an extra paragraph on possible applications to the strong interaction.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.