Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A wind of force 9 on the Beaufort scale (41–47 knots or 75–87 km/h).
- ‘Conditions in North Mayo were far from perfect as a strong gale, which was bitingly cold, caused problems for the team playing into it.’
- ‘He tried to stand but the ship was rolling heavily in the strong gale that was now blowing.’
- ‘It's hard to tell if it was from strong gale force winds or if it was some sort of tornadic activity.’
- ‘And it's possible it could become what we call extra tropical, but it would still be a very strong gale force storm at that time.’
- ‘This 82m freighter, a casualty of a strong gale and heavy seas in December 1906, lies in the same nutrient-rich tidal stream that supplies Browning Wall.’
- ‘An exceptionally strong gale of wind blew through and uprooted an old palm tree.’
- ‘Base camp radioed that storm clouds were approaching from Everest in the west; a strong gale was already flailing the ridge.’
- ‘The match was spoiled as a spectacle by the strong gale that blew straight down Flanagan Park, favouring the champions in the opening half.’
- ‘Although an unexpected strong gale from the north made us shiver in the golf links, everybody was eager to have a go at the game.’
- ‘Wind blew diagonally across the field giving Dromintee the advantage in the first half and the strong gale was far from suitable for a good game.’
- ‘A man was badly injured when the warehouse roof he was working on blew off in a strong gale here yesterday afternoon.’
- ‘One of them told a Halifax newspaper that during one rather strong gale, the only way to move around at all was to crawl on all fours.’
- ‘The chaos of the battle is compared to a strong gale whipping up dust; Idomeneus is said to be fierce as fire.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.